Virtual Private Servers are becoming an in-demand product nowadays. It is popular in telecom, healthcare groups, and retail businesses. These servers got designed to perform like dedicated servers within a shared hosting network. These are the cost-effective solutions over the dedicated servers and ensure privacy than the shared hosting.
In other words, virtual private servers are a combination of the best features of both dedicated and shared hosting. The general plan of VPS provides exceptional performance and safety as compared to the shared hosting.
In this environment, the provider offers no maintenance and management, and the VPS gets managed solely by the users. The hosting provider only gives a functional server to the user. The technical and experienced users mainly choose unmanaged or self-managed VPS.
Benefits of Unmanaged VPS
- You will have complete control of your servers for storage space, software installation, bandwidth, usage, memory, etc.
- You can customize the VPS server as per business needs.
- It’s a cost-effective solution with no technical team or resources necessary to manage the server.
- You can conveniently and without restriction can install and run the applications that are not available with the hosting providers.
- You are solely responsible for handling the server so you can perform any changes to the server.
- You can avail the benefit of limitless optimization on the server and enhance the performance of your website or application to attain more traffic and improved user experience.
Disadvantages of Unmanaged VPS
- Engages the business owner unnecessary for the server maintenance and management apart from focusing on critical business strategies.
- Round-the-clock IT support is essential for your business.
- Difficult to maintain the OS updates and patches.
- Likely the security and reliability lessen if the server doesn’t get regular updates.
In the managed VPS, the service provider administers and maintains the servers. Hence, the user can conveniently focus on other necessary business work and leave the technicality of servers over the service providers. The reason for choosing the managed VPS is because business owners or users are not technically knowledgeable and experienced enough to operate their servers.
If you or your team don’t have the required technical knowledge to manage the server, then it’s better to consider fully managed VPS.
The standard plan for managed VPS are:
- Guaranteed uptime,
- Server provisioning and initial setup,
- Control panel and server management,
- Security software availability,
- Routine updates and vulnerability reinforce,
- Offsite server backups,
- On-request malware scanning,
- Hardware and software concerns resolution,
- Customer support is available 24/7
Benefits of Managed VPS
- The server gets monitored 24/7 constantly by the service provider so that you can concentrate on other necessary business tasks.
- If you are not aware of the configuration or setup related to the server, then you don’t need to worry about it. The complete server maintenance is upon the technical team at the web hosting company.
- A managed VPS usually have high-end tools for resolving security issues and removing threats. The server gets continuously monitored for any suspicious malware. A security audit occurs for identifying any vulnerability for avoiding any data breach.
- The managed VPS has a control panel for easy management of your website. The control panel helps your website management by adding website files over the server, making databases, monitoring site performance etc.
- The server gets monitored thoroughly for the traffic spikes that help analyze whether your website can manage the increased traffic at peak times without downtime.
- A managed VPS server is a cost-efficient solution without recruiting a specialized technical team for server management.
- You will get technical customer support from the web hosting company 24/7.
Disadvantages of Managed VPS
- It is a costly solution as compared to the unmanaged VPS.
- It allows more controlling power to the third party. The hosting provider takes all the software and hardware related decisions and controls the installation process.
- For any software installation, you need to wait for the provider to work upon the request for installation. However, in the unmanaged VPS, you can install the software and can save the waiting time.
A substantial difference between Managed and Unmanaged VPS:
|Difference||Managed VPS||Unmanaged VPS|
|Technical||There is no essential technical skill required.||Better understanding and technical knowledge is a must.|
|Maintenance||The up-gradation and maintenance of the server is the responsibility of the service provider.||The hosting provider only provides the functional server for operation. Maintenance and up-gradation is the responsibility of the business owner and his team.|
|Time-saving||It allows you to spend more time planning business strategies as the maintenance of the server is hassle-free.||You need to pay attention to both business and server maintenance.|
|Technical support||You can avail of technical customer support from the hosting provider round-the-clock.||For any technical concerns, you need to contact your team or resolve them on your own.|
|Cost-effective||It is a bit costlier but worth it if you are a beginner and have no technical knowledge.||The entire server management is your responsibility, so the cost is much lower.|
Which VPS is better for your business?
Now you know about the managed and unmanaged VPS and have their advantages. You have the technical knowledge and are well-aware of server management, and can spend time on server management along with your business time, then unmanaged VPS is the right option.
On the other side, if you have a startup and are new in the business, you require concentration on your business growth with that managing VPS will become an overburden for you.
Managed VPS will give you the required technical assistance to save your valuable time. It will also permit you to focus on critical aspects like team management, creating revenues, making customer relationships, etc. But, if you want a budget-friendly and understand the server management, later you can choose unmanaged VPS for your business.
Although managed VPS is expensive than unmanaged VPS and now it’s affordable enough to deliver the benefits your organization requires for exceptional growth and success. It provides a trustworthy and hassle-free environment with the right hosting provider.
Even deployment and management of the server will consume your valuable time, and formerly it’s time to change and switch to managed VPS.
However, if you can take ownership of server security and know the tips and tricks to safeguard your server, you can choose the unmanaged VPS.