What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a social platform as well as a networking site that helps people connect, share and discover information generally related to jobs and employment. It is a career networking and development platform that allows professionals to sign up, explore jobs, work as freelancers, or even publish articles.
It is a free site that is open to all and thus helps as a connective site, where people can know more about jobs and companies, as well as compare salaries according to market rate.
LinkedIn is an employment-oriented app that can be operated not only via websites but also via mobile apps. The platform was first launched in 2003 and was built for employment purposes, where people can sign up and either look for jobs or post jobs as a recruiter.
However, further, it was updated to meet the standards of Facebook and Twitter, and thus it also became a networking platform. Although Facebook and Twitter focus more on personal life, LinkedIn was developed to build connections with employers and employees and focus more on career-related aspects.
LinkedIn today is considered the world’s most renowned professional networking site. With the progress in digitalization, LinkedIn is being used as a professional tool for several other uses as well.
Uses of LinkedIn
There are several uses of LinkedIn since it is not only used by employees but also by employers.
Competitive intelligence is something that helps a person gain knowledge that is based on or related to professionalism; it can be used as a business strategy.
LinkedIn is a platform where employers post competitive questions to test the skills of the candidates. Thus, taking those tests can serve the purpose of competitive advantage.
LinkedIn is used for the purpose of networking among professionals, where people can discuss jobs, employment, and referrals. It can also be used as a platform for freelancing and networking. Discussing particular skillsets and networking just for the purpose of connection can also be done with LinkedIn.
Any company or consulting service can use LinkedIn to cultivate one’s business presence and develop a connection.
The platform can be used as a digital channel that can serve the purpose of business development. Companies can post about their service and products as well as job openings on LinkedIn and promote their company.
Since several professionals are there on the platform, companies, as well as job seekers, can post advertisements related to products and services and attract potential customers. LinkedIn with its networking features has even provided an opportunity for promotion and conversation.
It is a no-brainer, since it is an employment-oriented platform, and such platforms are mainly used for recruiting.
Companies and organizations hire candidates from LinkedIn and therefore use the platform for such purposes. Companies sort out candidates’ profiles and recruit as per their requirements.
How is LinkedIn used for lead generation?
Lead is the main focus and demand of any organization or company. Lead generation of any company determines consistency and reliable revenue. Therefore, companies use various strategies, tactics, and marketing skills to generate leads.
However, LinkedIn is a platform that provides easy lead generation with a defined process. LinkedIn is used by 89% of B2B marketers and has proven to provide twice the number of leads than previously. With professional targeting filters and high analytic skills, LinkedIn is holding the market for lead generation.
The platform is not only changing the course of B2B partners but also creating an environment of trust and a long-term relationship as a smart step. LinkedIn uses various techniques of website retargeting, account targeting as well as contact targeting.
The platform generates leads with the help of thought leadership, apart from the previously mentioned techniques. During the time of high competition, different strategies are used for lead generation like employee advocacy, sponsored content, and different types of ads.
Why should you be on LinkedIn?
The platform being a professional networking site is generally utilized for showcasing skills, educational background, experience, and other aspects required for a professional to have.
Although a resume can do the same thing as LinkedIn however, in the digital era, an online platform is quite important since it helps individuals to be updated with the recent career trends.
Having a LinkedIn profile is also considered necessary for the following reasons:
- Connection: the platform provides a diverse connection for people to connect. Diverse industries, domains, and people are present on the platform for people to connect with. This active connection provides ample opportunities to people for job search.
- Job posting: companies and employers use LinkedIn to post jobs which can help professionals and job seekers to be aware of the hiring trends and different companies along with their requirements. Thus, to be aware of the updates posted by companies as well as the job openings, one is required to have a LinkedIn account.
- Globalization: LinkedIn is a global platform that is available to all for free and thus connection becomes easy, with a broader audience. Therefore, with a complete profile, it becomes easy for people to search for jobs not just in India but in foreign lands as well.
- Branding: the platform with a global option and freedom becomes a place to showcase one’s talents and skills, thus one can use the platform for personal branding. LinkedIn can be used for showcasing talent, skills, experience, and educational background, and in return get referrals and endorsements.
- Availability of information: although there is a limited amount of information on LinkedIn since it is generally used for professional purposes, it still has authentic information. Unless one uploads all original documents for verification, LinkedIn doesn’t allow the information to surpass.
Further, concluding the article by stating that being specific while connecting with people on LinkedIn is important. Since it is a professional platform, putting some time and effort to succeed in the chosen career with LinkedIn is considered vital. Get LinkedIn and connect with people and get several professional opportunities. Enjoy your job hunt and connect with people.